Forgiveness

A small grievance, really. A word spoken in frustration that just pierced my heart on a rough day.

Then I waited for the, "I'm sorry" that I thought I deserved. A little remorse was all I needed for the forgiveness to come flooding out.

Instead, I got a lesson on forgiveness.

As I woke up, still a little sore from the incident verses flooded my thoughts:

We love him because he first loved us

While we were still sinners Christ died for us

He who knew no sin bore our sins in his body on the tree

love one another as I have loved

There is therefore now no condemnation

God is love

God took the first step. Not because we were worthy or repentant or good or trying or aware. Simply because God is love.

Instead of God sitting around brooding, or pacing the floors of heaven waiting for our confession, He took the first step. Not prodding us or guilting us, but covering our sin. He took the hit.

He didn't want our sin to stand in the way of our relationship with Him, so He removed it as far as the East is from the West. He stepped in and paid it and forgave and loved.

And, He calls me to respond in kind. I don't need to pay any debt, but I am not in a position to demand repayment either. Just like the slave that had his fellow slave thrown in prison.

I need to just forgive. Love. Show mercy. Walk humbly.

Following Christ doesn't necessarily get easier, but thankfully it is full of fresh starts.

Comments

Popular Posts