What did I accomplish yesterday?

Nothing.

That's what it feels like at least. I just did my regular "stuff." Nothing special. No deep cleaning, decluttering, learning a new hobby, establishing a healthy habit, special family bonding moment,

And, that's okay.

Did I do nothing? Not really.

I loved on and cared for my family.

  • Cooked
  • Vacuumed
  • Did laundry
  • Gave grace when someone reacted out of stress 
  • Attended virtual church together 
  • Snuggled our youngest for a few minutes
  • Read out loud - the Bible and some other books
  • Gave hugs and thank yous
  • Grieve together all that we are missing right now

I parented our kids, which was not always fun, and was sometimes exhausting.

  • Refereeing disagreements
  • Separating emotional siblings
  • Micromanaging some schedules
  • Checked chores
  • Followed up on rechecked chores
  • Showed again how a chore should be done properly
  • Realized we will have to tackle this again another time
  • Listened
  • Taught more meal prep skills

Homeschooled (a little, this was a partial holiday)

  • Went over math lessons
  • Printed assignment sheets
  • Put books away we are done with for now
  • Recorded another chapter for my lit class to watch

Connected

  • Sent a (hopefully) encouraging text to a friend
  • Had a bible study zoom call with another friend
  • Scanned social media (probably too much) and prayed for friends as needs popped up

Rested

  • literally - I fell asleep at some point for a few minutes
  • Had a quiet time in God's Word
  • Snatched a few minutes here and there to read a book

Even when I get to the end of the day and feel like I did nothing and don't want to admit how much time I spent scrolling through the news or social media websites, I still did something.

Maybe I did not finish some grandiose list of tasks or start something new or something that will inspire the world, but I survived another day.

I laughed, worshiped, parented, commiserated, taught and had both highs and lows. And, tomorrow we will do much of it again. And, if that's all I get done everyday (some days less and some days more) for many days to come, that's okay.

At some point, this will end and we'll be more ready than every to figure out "normal" life again. Days that fly by so quickly we won't have time to realize that we are also getting "nothing" done, just outside our house instead.

For now, days of nothing at home are enough. Nothing. It's enough.

Comments

Popular Posts