Stay at home lingers . . .

As this time at home continues, I realize a greater need to count my daily blessings.

The stress, frustrations, fear, disappointment, anxiety, inconvenience, and annoyance of it is all very clear. But, I need to choose intentionally to lean into the blessings that this season has brought.

"Quarantine" blessings can mostly be wrapped up in one word, one category . . .

Time


to love
to cook
to share

to talk
to play board games
to listen
to hike
to sleep
to laugh
to study God's Word
to pray
to choose my day
to plan ahead
to clean
to make healthy choices
to encourage
to not be rushed
to connect
to worship
to relax
to drink in nature
to know my family
to love



Not that I have any more hours in my day, and I would not give any impression that I have time to be bored or procrastinate any more than usual, but with all of us under the same roof twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, we have more time together. And, that time equates to more relationship building, if I take advantage of it. 

I'm so thankful that I see my kids each rising to this challenge. They kind of take turns (without trying) and initiate connecting each day. We share highs and lows over dinner and it seems a different one starts this each evening. We play games when we find a few of us with a little break at the same time, and different kids prompt this as well. They volunteer to help with a meal now and then. They ask for extra jobs to keep busy (or make money). They seek out connectedness, and it is beautiful.

We are mostly an introverted group, so could pretty easily recede into our own skin for the duration of this and maybe even enjoy that, but God has intentionally placed us here together. Intentionally given us this time, these moments, these memories in the making.

Savoring the season has often been a challenge for me as I desire to rush ahead, to focus on planning for what is to come. But, right now the future is so uncertain that the only thing I am sure of is a wedding, of some variety, will take place this summer. Other than that we are "stuck" in the waiting.  So, I learn more deeply how to savor. Not to rush. Not to look ahead. Not to miss out. Instead I savor, smile, enjoy, and choose to live in this odd place we find ourselves right now.

With extra time to love.





Comments

Popular Posts