Wednesday Worship



My soul groans along with the lyrics of this song.

Just when I find a groove, settle into a new routine of studying God's Word and time in prayer -- life sends a disruption.  A twist. A challenge. A grief. A mental weight (or global pandemic) that saps my motivation.

My sinful nature steps in and tempts me away from that life giving routine. Laziness lures my pampering heart to choose self over discipline.
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, “Till now the Lord has helped us.” (1 Samuel 7:12 ESV)

I must choose to refix my gaze on Him. Raise my Ebenezer (rock of help). Remembering that all that I have traveled thus far is by His help alone.

On my own, I wander. Leave. Give up. Stumble. Fall short.

In Him, he ties me close. Seals my heart by His Holy Spirit. Tunes my life in sync with His.

And, I respond. Shouts of praise. True obedience.
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 ESV)

Again, I nestle more deeply into Him, into His Word. That is where I need to remain, abide, stay, shelter. Apart from Him I can't do anything. Nothing. No fruit. No love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control. Nothing of substance.

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. (Philippians 3:12 ESV)

Even after years of walking with Him, I am not perfect. Far from it. But I press on. Why? Because He made me His own, at great cost to himself, so I press on. 

Father God, my Helper, hold me closer than ever and keep whispering these words of confidence that I need to hear. Not encouragement that rests in my own abilities, but in all You are and all You have done. Thank you for making me Your own, and claiming me when I deserved nothing. Help me abide in You that my life may flourish for Your glory. In Jesus Name Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts