Praying for my husband

Every night before I turn in for the night, usually while my husband is still brushing his teeth, I sneak in one last intentional prayer for my husband.

It is not my own words, but comes from my heart.

It is pre-printed, but rich with spontaneous meaning.

I read it from a card, but my mind adds the depth of life to each word.

I have no idea how long this habit has stayed with me. Long enough to wear out the book I used, twice, but not long enough for the replacement cards to wear out, yet. Sometimes I chide myself for not praying more throughout the day, or for not making this such a regular part of my morning routine (I've tried, but the inconsistency stapled it back into my bedtime routine).

My self-criticism says the prayers would have more impact if offered while he walked and worked and did life. As if somehow God resets his energies overnight and the previous day's prayers no longer count. Why do I doubt the effectiveness of bedtime prayers? Because His mercies are new every morning? Surely He is sustaining enough to remember yesterday's prayers.

So, I pray. And, these beautiful cards speak the words that I cannot always formulate on my own.

These prayers have hardened the bricks that built our lives together. They have strengthened the mortar that binds the bricks. They have decorated the walls and enriched the framework, and made something beautiful that I could never have done on my own.

Sometimes the prayers are not for him, but for me, his wife, and other times they seem a little less applicable to him or me or us. But, always these prayers float from my lips as a surrender to God of this most precious human relationship that I have.

Even when . . .
anger still lingers on the fringes of my thoughts, I pray.
exhaustion blurs my coherence after a busy day, I pray.
grief steals my emotions for other matters, I pray.
distractions capture my thoughts every other phrase, I pray.
apathy or laziness tempts me to skip it, I pray.

And, God has honored this practice that is even in itself a bit pockmarked by sin.

He has and continues to heal, fill, refresh, strengthen, bring love, unify, and bless.

And so tonight, as countless nights before, I pick up the next card and let the words of the printed prayer become my heart cry. Each time fresh as if I didn't just pray these same words a month ago as I cycled through the cards. Each time genuinely seeking growth and greater love. Each time God meets me there even more than the night before.

His Purpose
Lord, I pray that (husband's name) will clearly hear the call You have on his life. Help him to realize who he is in Christ and give him certainty he was created for a high purpose. Enable him to walk worthy of his calling and remind him of what You've called him to be. Don't let him get sidetracked with things that are unessential to Your purpose. Strike down discouragement so that it will not defeat him. Lift his eyes above the circumstances of the moment. so he can see the purpose for which You created him. Give him patience to wait for Your perfect timing. I pray that the desires of his heart will not be in conflict with the desires of Yours. May he seek You for direction and hear when You speak to his soul. In Jesus Name Amen 

Taken from The Power of a Praying Wife Prayer Cards by Stormy Omartian. 

Comments

Popular Posts