Wednesday Worship


One of my all time favorite songs.

Not long ago, I was reading and meditating on Psalm 73 and appreciated the reminder of the power of focus. 

At the beginning of the Psalm (verses 3-12) the psalmist looks at the people around him. The wicked prosper, the violent enjoy success, the prideful avoid trouble. It's confusing, discouraging, unjust, and can shake our faith if we let our focus linger there.

In a shift of focus, he then slips into a bit of a pity party (verses 16-22). Focusing on self and what we think we deserve often bring bitterness, a warped perspective, and beastly behavior toward others.

The only proper focus rests on God. He holds our right hand as we walk through this sinful world. His counsel brings guidance. Everything will fail or fall away, but God is forever our strength. Forever our strength.

It is good to be near to my God.
My refuge. 

Let me tell of His works.

Right now, I'm horribly burdened by an unjust situation on the other side of the world. My heart aches, cries out as I think of it. If I stay there mentally, I will almost slip, almost stumble. Instead, I can pour it out to God and then leave it there. With Him.

Then, I have to choose to rest in Him, my forever strength.  

He's got it. He probably hates the injustice of it as well. But, He also has a plan to use it for His glory.  Nothing surprises Him. What Satan tries to twist for evil, God makes beautiful for His glory. So, I rest in His refuge again. Choosing to stay in His shelter.

Father God, You know what is breaking my heart right now. You are bigger than this situation. Don't keep silent, Lord (Psalm 83). Your enemies are laying craft plans against your people. "As fire consumes the forest, as the flame sets the mountains ablaze, so may you pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your hurricane! Fill their faces with shame, that they may seek your name, o LORD."  I know I can rest in you, the LORD, the Most High over all the earth. Supreme. Lofty. Elevated. You are over it all, and we rest in You and Your timing to act. In Jesus Name, Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts