Verse of the week - Genesis 3:6

A little different format today. With the new year, came a new project, in case you missed it, and each week I will have the opportunity to share my devotional thoughts over at 66 Books. This is my posting from January 1, which I have carried into my verse for the week. A strong challenge to be aware of sin and cling to God's way. To follow along each day with devotionals from our reading through the Bible in one year please subscribe, bookmark, favorite, or somehow remember to check in over there. Whatever tools you use, I hope you commit to making His Word a priority this year.

Scripture

Genesis 3:6 “When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.”

Observation

From the very beginning God laid the foundation for family – one man and one woman; for environmentalism – people were to care for and have dominion over the earth; for His relationship with man – a sovereign shepherd; and many other facets of our world that carry through into modern day. Yet, despite this carefully fashioned environment, Satan entered the scene and cast his lure in the pond. Eve bit and he reeled in hard.

She should have known, so should we. She should have obeyed, so should we. She should have stood her ground, so should we. She should have trusted God’s love and protecting hand, so should we.

Satan still likes to paint an airbrushed picture of sin. As Christians we shy away from sin that disgusts us, but when we take the world’s logic and let it simmer in our personal marinade for a while it sometimes comes out appearing more palatable and decent, and we try a bite. A bite is all it takes and he has us, and our relationship with God takes a step back.

And, just as Eve, we rarely go down alone. We grab the nearest person and pull them in, too. When I react in anger or selfishness, I spark defiance and rebellion in my child. When I reply with sarcasm or manipulation, I plant disharmony in that relationship. When I slander, I seal out God’s love. The impact of my sin rarely stops with me.

Doesn’t matter how perfect the environment, how solid our knowledge, how strong our God, sin is waiting, crouching to ruin everything. I need to constantly be on my guard and seeking to view situations through God’s eyes rather than my worldly wisdom.

This picture carries such a strong lesson from the very beginning of time. I cannot underestimate the power and prevalence of sin all around me.

Application

As I seek to walk the walk today:

. . . Remember that Satan prowls about as a hungry, roaring lion (I Peter 5:8)

. . . Worship God for His ways and thoughts are immeasurably higher than my own (Isaiah 55:8-9)

. . . Flee temptation and surround myself with those who call on God from a pure heart (I Timothy 2:22)

Prayer

Dear God,

I pray for Your discernment as I walk through this day. Keep my eyes open and my heart guarded against evil and sin. Help me to not question Your ways, but joyfully follow Your statutes in faith. I pray that You would use me in the lives of others to point them closer to You. Please help my choices not to tear down or cause others to fall. With all my heart, I want to follow Your righteous ways today.

~Amen

Comments

Popular Posts