Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

The menu plan in our house doesn't generally vary much, but last night I decided to try a new soup recipe to supplement our regular Chicken Noodle. All of my kids loved it, so I will definitely be making it again!


The recipe originally came from Recipezaar, called Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup. Of course, I always tweak things a little based on what I have on hand and my family tastes (not too spicy, no chunky vegetables, etc), so here was the version I served up last night:

I started by making chicken stock (one whole chicken, half gallon of water, salt, pepper and carrots -- or use canned stock, about 5- 14 oz cans and about 4 chicken breasts). After that simmered for the morning I strained it into the crock pot, deboned the chicken and threw it in the broth.

I also added:
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 15 oz can tomato sauce

And, a couple extras I had around:
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans

I deboned the chicken at lunch and put it in the crock pot on low for the afternoon (4-5 hours -- probably more than it really needed) and we ate it for dinner with some oven crisped corn tortillas. I forgot to pull out the sour cream, but that would be ideal as well!

And, I have enough left over, now in the freezer, for two more meals.

I think it could have been a little spicier, but most of my kids said it was perfect. It was definitely flavorful, though.

For more Kitchen tips head over to Tammy's blog.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I'll bet this was good. I tried a new recipe the other night for roasted vegetable soup and it turned out too watery for me. I'll bet if I'd added some nice chunks of chicken, though . . . :)

5intow said...

Lynn,

I know what you mean. I love a good chunky soup. I'll probably add even more beans next time. That's what it's all about, eh? Taking a great recipe and making it your own.

Thanks for stopping by!
Erin

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

I made a version of this for the first time last week. It was very good.