Not back to school blog hop -- Curriculum plans

Another round of curriculum summaries. I decided to repost this since I have tweaked it a bit and there is a new posting for homeschool curriculum plans at My 3boybarians.

Not Back-to-School Blog Hop



As we accelerate toward the official start of school I find myself once again absorbed with all things homeschool. Budgets, schedules, classes, co-ops, curriculums, philosophies, inspiration, etc.



Previously I, and many others, enjoyed Kris's posting of her Curriculum plans for the year ahead, and so she invited us to join her with a posting of our own plans. You can jump over there and read about many other homeschoolers' plans as well.


In the order of our daily schedule:

Bible
- Grapevine Studies, Old Testament Overview (review coming. We are enjoying this, but I want a couple more weeks with it before I share all my thoughts).

- You can Change the World - praying around the world

- AWANA


Missionary Biographies
- Chance to Die by Elliot (about Amy Carmichael)

- Trial and Triumph (love this book!)

- then, not sure yet. Maybe Daktar or Bruchko or Through Gates of Splendor (if it's not obvious, I'm kind of a missionary biography junkie, probably a quarter of my books relate to missions in one way or another)


Spelling
- Spelling Power

- SpellQuizzer


Math
- Nothing exciting -- we use A Beka for 1,2 grade (don't do kindergarten, just start first grade stuff when they are around 5 years old);
- Saxon for 3 through Algebra II;
- this year we are using Jacobs Alegebra I for a fresh perspective and have really liked it so far


English
- IEW We will dabble in this next week and use it to advance writing skills, hopefully. A popular method and I have enjoyed learning more about it through videos borrowed from friends. This was my one big purchase this year. I bought the student intensive ($120) with the DVDs.


- Rod and Staff (2-8) We started these two years ago and I cannot rave enough about them. Simple, affordable, academically strong, and clearly taught from a Christian worldview. I don't require my kids to do every single exercise, and we do a bit orally, but they have learned so much and enjoy the many references to a more agrarian form of living. They do not officially sell their products online, but this link takes you to a store that you can purchase them through.

- I also plan some time here and there on public speaking using the book Playpen to Podium, as well as plain old recitation in front of the family.


Handwriting
- We start out with Handwriting without Tears. I enjoy their early writing books and even found a large set of their wooden manipulatives at a sale earlier this year for less than $15 I think.

- Once my kids have their writing pretty well established (2-3rd grade), we move to A Reason for Handwriting. I liked their cursive better than any other books that I looked at, so that is part of the reason for the switch. It has worked well so far.


PE
- Aside from sports we do daily running, stretching, etc.

- I want my older kids to all be comfortable running a mile by the end of this year.

- More on a PE activity that we often use


History
- Sonlight core 1 for the younger set. I've done this once already a few years ago and am looking forward to reading some favorites once again!

- Ambleside year 5 for the older two. I think combining will save my sanity a bit this year. We should have time to dig in a little more, and I love the conversations that erupt when I work with more than one child at a time.


Science
- Sonlight core 1 for the younger set

- Aplogia General Science with the older two


Co-ops and classes:
- Keepers at Home
- Ballet
- Gymnastics
- fall soccer, spring baseball
- drama
- gym and swim


Nature Study
- Handbook of Nature Study blog. We have enjoyed the weekly outdoor challenges sporadically, but now I have it on our regular Friday schedule, so we should hit it more than twice this year. :-)

- Handbook of Nature Study (an old version of the book can be seen online at that link)


Lots of extras from Ambleside (Read Alouds, Poets, Plutarch, Artists, Composers, hymns, more nature study, etc.) I will be posting these as I compile them into posts with all the links and resources (I already posted our Folk song study links for Follow the Drinking Gourd).


I'm a little tired just looking at it all, but still excited. So much fun stuff ahead this year, can't wait to jump into it all!

Comments

Robin E. said…
A lovely plan, Amanda. I love reading what others are using and learning about new options out there. Thanks for introducing me to the Blog Hop on this.
Tracy said…
Looks like a great year! We are trying IEW this year!
Anonymous said…
Looks great... we are sonlight users too.
argsmommy said…
I love missionary biographies too. I recently finished Chance to Die and my all-time favorite is Through the Gates of Splendor.

Kellie
6intow said…
Kellie,

Thanks for that reminder. I loved reading that book as well. I'm sure I would need to "edit" as I read which I do with many of the biographies (even Amy Carmichael, with the explanations of what her former prostitute children went through).

There is so much benefit that it is worth the trouble of figuring out what small parts to revise.

Thank you!
Erin

Popular Posts