Slowing down

How often have I wished that time would slow down a little bit?

That I could take a little longer and just enjoy the season I'm in?

Wished for less distractions and fewer activities and commitments cluttering up our schedule?

I guess I've got what I wished for. 

So, now I need to take a step back and realize it.

The shopping is done, the calendar wiped clean (literally and figuratively), and everyone that still calls this house home is living here.

Processing like I always do . . . by writing.

I don't know what's to come, how long this will last, what anything beyond Wednesday will look like. But I know there will be a lot less on our calendar for the foreseeable future and I want to make the most of it.

Making my plan while I rest in His.

In the midst of uncertainty, I'm leaning into His security and the certainty of Scripture.

Psalm 16:11 has been precious to me these last few days . . .


Priorities -- seeking God's direction and timing for the "path of life" these next few weeks will take.

Extended prayer

When I have committed extra time to prayer, God always moves in awesome ways, so I want my days to start there. At least 30 minutes of just praying. Then, time in God's Word before moving on with the day.

Exercise

This has become fairly routine in my days and I don't want that to change. More time outside walking (with my husband, our kids, or alone) and exploring. In the basement or on our exercise bike as the weather demands. And, expecting the same of the kids.

(homeschool -- this has to happen, so not really any changes with this. Hoping to finish out the year early since we will have even more time at home)

Art

My natural tendency is not toward creativity or art, but my kids love this, so I want to spend some more time creating together. We have recently started finding "kindness rocks" and plan to create some of our own and hide them while out on our walks.

Write

I know if I don't schedule this, it won't happen. It is kind of an indulgence of mine, so I feel a little guilty stealing away for a few minutes to explore the recesses of my mind via keyboard. Everyday.

Read

Another favorite activity that sometimes gets lost in the school work, or just becomes school work. Much of my designated reading time will be lost with our new schedule. No waiting for kids in classes or driving kids to and from activities. That's my audio book or real book time. I need to not lose that although I will just need to make time for it at home, alone and with the kids.

That's a start. I have a feeling God will show me more as I spend more time surrendering my days to Him, but that will come either subtly or with great conviction, and will make a way as is needed.

I definitely need to be intentional about staying off screens (with a little extra time and how depressing it all is anyway), for myself and the kids. Setting screen time limits on my phone first thing in the morning. 

What are your goals for the upcoming days?


Comments

Popular Posts