A relationship with God.

Not a religious obligation, not a duty to check off, not fire insurance, not a crutch, not a pick-me-up, not filler, not a routine or habit.

A relationship with the God of the universe.


I've been mulling this over recently and was struck by something that my husband said in small group about our attitudes in attending church. How often do I enter the sanctuary with God on my mind? Rather, how often do I come in a bit reluctantly, maybe I would rather be at home in my slippers with a cup of tea relaxing with my family?


What? Am I crazy? This omnipotent God set aside everything to take on flesh and die in my place to have a relationship with me and I thank Him with that?


In my husband's illustration he compared it to asking one of our children to do something and instead of joyfully getting it done, they grumble. Obviously a teaching moment, but I'd rather not have asked at all than to see them respond in that way. How little does God ask of me in comparison! And, I wonder if sometimes I make Him wish He'd never asked.


Moses offers a dynamic example of living in a relationship with God. Exodus 33:11 says, "Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend. When Moses returned to the camp, his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, would not depart from the tent."


Moses and Joshua couldn't get enough of God. God spoke with Moses as with a friend. Although He does not manifest Himself in that way today, He does not change, so He longs for that same type of relationship with us.


My desire to relate to Him will impact my church attendance and attitude, my ministry involvements, my roles, my quiet time, my prayer life. How many of us only call our friends when we need something? If we do, they probably don't consider us very good friends. Yet, how often do we pray only when a need arises (even if that is multiple times a day)?


He wants so much more for us.

Lord, help me to know You, to want to know You more. Thank you for patiently waiting as I grow and learn what a follower truly looks like. You are a faithful, patient God. Transform my attitude, Lord, that I may approach You with reverence and understanding, not taking for granted the privilege I have to live with You. ~Amen


Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face,
just as a man speaks to his friend.
When Moses returned to the camp, his servant Joshua,
the son of Nun, a young man, would not depart from the tent.


~Exodus 33:11~

Comments

Popular Posts