Verse of the Week -- Proverbs 3:3

"Truth is within all of us."

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."
~Andre Gide (French author and winner of the Nobel Prize)

"We know the truth, not only by the reason, but by the heart."
~Blaise Pascal

Truth in some form or another has long caught man's attention. Nowadays people seek after the truth "within," or "their" truth. If truth were simply buried deep within us waiting to be uncovered, I doubt the writer of Proverbs would have penned these words:

Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart ~Proverbs 3:3


I am reminded of the Jewish practice of physically binding Scripture to their bodies. Not a bad idea. Often just carrying a tract of Scripture portion around with me keeps my mind focused on more eternal matters.

Mercy and truth. I like that summary of our faith. Mercy, love, kindness. That others-focused outlook. Mix that with truth, the firm unwavering foundation of what and Who we believe in.

We need both of those for balance and right thinking. Just truth could leave us studying and learning, not applying, because we will never come to the end of all the truth we need to learn. Just love and we forget the harsh reality of sin and judgment.

They both need to find their place inscribed on my heart and etched into my thinking. Driving my actions and keeping each other balanced.


Lord, Help the truth to drive me to greater love. And help my love to speak the truth without fear or compromise. Keep my life bound up in You, all of You. ~Amen


Let not mercy and truth forsake thee:
bind them about thy neck;
write them upon the table of thine heart

~Proverbs 3:3~

Comments

Popular Posts