TOS Crew Review -- Beehive Reader



One of my absolute favorite products so far this year came from All About Spelling. My daughters have thoroughly enjoyed their spelling program, so another package from this company could only be a good thing.

The Beehive Reader complements the spelling curriculum that we already love. It reinforces the sounds they have learned accompanied by beautiful pencil sketches and short stories.




Product: The Beehive Reader
Details: A 160 page beautiful early reader that can be used with or without the All About Spelling system. Any child that knows their basic letter sounds can read these delightful stories. Illustrated with beautiful pencil sketch-type illustrations.
Price: $19.95




What we loved . . .
  • Beautiful! I love this book, just to look at even. The cutest pictures, sturdy hardback cover. An all around top quality product. My daughter kept thumbing through it on the first day, enjoying the pictures.
  • Perfect for the early reader. So many early readers are either too long, too dull, or too narrowly focused on a certain sound. Because this book waits until after the basic sounds are all introduced, your child is ready to read some real stories. I have tired of early readers that don't really make sense because they are stuck using all short 'a' sounds to create a story.
  • Perfect length. The other issue I have found in some early readers is that the stories are too long. The poor kids get tired of reading the story even if it is fairly well put together. These are almost too short, but are perfect for putting the phonics skills into practice at the end of the spelling lesson.

Some considerations . . .

  • The Price. As much as I love this book, $20 seems a bit steep for a reading book. It is durable and beautiful, and I'm sure worth that price, but it still is a lot of money.
  • Not a long use product. This is a great little book, and one that will last an early reader for a couple months, and one they will likely enjoy reading even longer than that. But, for school purposes this is a book that your child will read and use for only a relatively short time.

We really love All About Spelling. And, I love how this reader easily reinforces and works into the curriculum. The stories are wonderful, the product is top quality, and my daughter definitely enjoyed using it.


For more TOS Crew reviews on this product, check out the TOS Crew blog.


Disclaimer: This reading book was provided to me free of charge from All About Spelling as part of my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I received no additional compensation and the opinions expressed here come from my personal experiences and sincere thoughts.

Comments

Popular Posts