Verse of the Week -- Psalm 131:1-3

This past week I wrapped up reading through the Psalms once again and a few verses stood out to me from chapter 131:

1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.

2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.


Praying through Scripture can be a powerful exercise, but I found it difficult to pray sincerely through these words. Generally, I want to entangle my thinking with weighty matters. I don't find contentment naturally.


These verses really convicted me and I reread them numerous times, letting them permeate my thoughts, and craving the truth of them. Often pride drives me to "great" matters rather than the quiet lessons God has for me.


Just waiting quietly on Him is "easy," that's for beginners. I want the deep stuff, the doctrinal discussions, the historical controversies, the meat of the Word.


How ironic, that what should be easy, I often find the hardest. To set aside my pride and mile-a-minute thinking, and sit and wait.


Lord, Help me to rest quietly in You and where You have me. Point out those pride-filled thoughts and gently still my soul within me. Help me to soak in who You are and put my hope directly in You rather than get entangled in these side issues. Thank you, Lord, for Your eternal faithfulness. ~Amen.


1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.

2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

~Psalm 131:1-3~

Comments

Popular Posts