Students, and at times all of us, often want an easy solution to a challenge that requires hard work. They are looking for a way to put in little effort and still get a good grade. The producers at Cerebellum have made AP exam success as easy as the push of a button.
Well, I guess that is a bit of an exaggeration. However, they have put together some fantastic DVDs that will allow your child to prepare for the AP exam with a little less stress and with everything they need in one place. A DVD summary course that compiles and presents the information needed to take the exam and lots of other study materials to help a student enter the testing room with confidence that they can do their best.
Product: Cerebellum Corporation
Details: Cerebellum sent us a copy of Light Speed U.S. Government and Politics AP Exam Prep DVD. This 73 minute video offers a summary of the AP exam and what to expect on exam day as well as lots of information packed into an engaging format that covers a lot of material with the goal of helping a student have a handle on the knowledge required to pass the AP exam including people, policies, and events related to US government.
Price: $14.98 regularly, but as of this post they are on sale for just $11.24
What we loved . . .
- Fast Paced. Engaging, interesting, always new. Rather than sit and listen to one person drone on about the topics needing coverage, these videos use older teens to do the teaching, each presenting just a bite size chunk of material. The result is a quick moving, interesting to watch video, jam-packed with information.
- Broad scope. They seem to cover it all. Although I don't have an AP exam to compare it to, they cover a lot of information, both past and present
- Easy to follow. The video is well organized and easy to follow along with. They do move fast, though, so be prepared to take notes or watch it multiple times.
- Professional quality. Great balance in presentation. Not too flashy, but not dry either. They use appropriate graphics and help all learners build their knowledge base.
- Digital Workbook included. This second CD also offers an outline and notes to help student compile some more visual, personalized information. It also has practice questions, games and quizzes to help students prepare for the test.
- Just one of many. They also offer DVDs for exam prep for Chemistry, writing, and US history, among other great looking educational DVDs
Some considerations . . .
- Work still required. Obviously, you must still study. Watching the video is a great spring board to get started from and a review tool to bring it all together, but the student will need to spend quite a bit of time really preparing in order to pass the 2 1/2 hour AP exam.
- Not tested. I did not take the AP exam, nor did any of my children take the AP exam, so I can't really vouch for the effectiveness of the program in helping you achieve the goal of passing the AP exam with the highest possible score. However, I can say that the video is well done and seems to present a thorough preparation of the exam.
High school can be an intimidating season to homeschool through, and these videos offer a great help to the homeschool (and traditional school) student to get a jump on college requirements. If you are looking for a reasonably priced tool to help your child begin to work on their college requirements, this video, and the other similar ones offered by the company, can give you just what you need.
For more TOS Crew reviews on this product, check out the TOS Crew blog.Disclaimer: This DVD was provided to me free of charge through Cerebellum Corporation as part of my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I received no additional compensation and the opinions expressed here come from my personal experiences and sincere thoughts.