Verse of the week -- II Corinthians 9:8

Blessings aren't always what we have

One concept that we have discussed a lot this week through our Bible times involved the blessings of God, and our response of gratefulness.

The book we are reading, Big Truths for Young Hearts, had this to say, "Instead of grumbling, we should accept both what God gives us and what he chooses not to give us, because in both cases he does what is best for us . . . We owe to him our deep and constant thanksgiving and praise. God is good and all that he gives us good."

I stopped for a moment and challenged myself to take that to heart, and then I turned it on my kids. At first they responded with a little silliness.

What can we be thankful for that God has not given us?

- I'm glad that God didn't give us a room full of spiders.

- Thank you, God, for not giving me a disease.

- I can thank Him I don't have homework today (will that make it true?)

Ha ha, very funny, now back to what the author really meant.

Can you genuinely give thanks for all God has given you AND give thanks for all God has chosen not to give you?

The mood turned serious. I told my kids that during our morning prayer time I wanted them each to thank God for a blessing they had received, and for a blessing they had not received. Interesting their response.

I could see how deeply this was hitting when they all asked if they could pray privately because they did not want to pray that second part out-loud.


We continue to mull this over . . . can I genuinely give thanks for what God chose not to give me? Instead He has given me an opportunity to grow in patience and grace. Instead of something I thought I wanted He stretched me and taught me contentment as He blessed others instead.


II Corinthians 9:8 expresses it this way, "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work."

These lessons are much harder to learn, much harder to give thanks for, much harder to see the blessing in not receiving.

So, I continue to ponder, and ask you to join me . . . What can I give thanks for that God did not give me?

8And God is able to make all grace
abound toward you; that ye,
always having all sufficiency in all things,
may abound to every good work


~II Corinthians 9:8~

Comments

Popular Posts