Verse of the week - Ephesians 6:10-12



While in high school I spent most of my summers on mission trips and the training and experiences I gained have left deep impressions on my intellect and my faith. During "Boot Camp" I remember a particular teaching on the Devil's D's. I don't remember exactly which ones they included, but they warned us about coming struggles we would experience with Doubt, Depression, Discouragement, Disappointment and other 'D' words. Powerful, flaming arrows that I feel the heat of often even today. Satan is an amazingly accurate archer, with a set of arrows that seem individually crafted for each one of us. Fortunately, God provides the defense and counter attack weapons we need.


As I look especially at my role as mother, I sometimes struggle with self-defeating thoughts. The ever-elusive super-mom image taunts me. Why we even listen to such foolishness I don't know, but Scripture gives us our response.


Ephesians 6:10-12 says, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."


We tend to focus on physical lapses or failures. Dust, cooking, school work, toys, laundry can all get us down at times. Sometimes we get a little deeper to schedules, menus, budgets, manners, knowledge, or even character. But, the battle begins even deeper still . . . wickedness, sin, deception, rebellion, etc.


It is a battle. One we should expect to encounter daily. Forget the woe-is-me over messy rooms, sibling squabbles, or shoddy school work. It's war! Get your armor on and let's get to work.


I would challenge you each day to arm yourself. I love the quote attributed to Martin Luther,I have so much to do that if I didn't spend at least three hours a day in prayer I would never get it all done." While I don't think we necessarily need three hours a day, we can all pray more, must pray more if we hope to accomplish all God has for us today.


Each morning I have started praying through the armor. I visualize each piece depicted in Ephesians 6:10-20 :

-- the belt of truth
-- the breastplate of righteousness
-- shoes of peace
-- shield of faith
-- helmet of salvation
-- sword of the Spirit (the Word of God)
-- Praying always!

As my faith waivers through the day, I remember that all this armor comes from God's hand. Not from my own fabricating. He offers solid protection from Satan's arrows. I must pray always and keep His armor firmly fastened.


Care to join me on my knees? That's where the battle begins. Let's claim victory in motherhood for His glory and honor!



Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

~Ephesians 6:10-12~

Comments

Popular Posts