Verse of the week - Colossians 3:1,2

God created an amazing world for us to live in. Over the years man has taken the created elements and using his God-given mental and physical capacities he has engineered new inventions and technical advances. Unfortunately, all of these things, both God-created and man-made, can pull our attention away from God Himself.


This past week as I read Numbers 32 and 33 I was reminded of that, especially through Courtney's post on those passages. She closes with the prayer, "I don’t want my life whittled away by things that won’t last. Help me to be ruthless in eliminating the things and activities that take me away from the work you would have me do."


God continued to whisper this challenge through my thoughts. This morning as I met with Paige for our mother-daughter time we talked about ideals and setting high standards. One of the scripture references was Colossians 3:1,2, "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."


The mental questions came . . .

Am I really seeking Him?

Is He without doubt my first priority?

Am I still trying to serve two masters?

What else do I allow to take away from my devotion to Him?

What changes do I need to make to keep Him firmly in the number one spot in my life?


For me, it comes back to blogging and computer time. I currently keep my computer off during school hours, but I know I need to do more than that. Sometimes, when rearranging an area of my life, I find it helpful to step way back and evaluate. So, for this week I have decided to stay away from my computer, with a few necessary exceptions, and hopefully I can get most of those taken care of tonight. I will have to still monitor email, but other than that once or twice a day (and, I say this here to keep me accountable, I need to keep those visits just to email!) I plan to stay off my computer.


I need to restore my cherished longer devotional time in the morning, which has been cut too short recently. I need to get out for walks and/or runs more regularly, and I need to reset my priorities in this area, and make sure I am controlling it, not vice verse. The computer can be a great tool for sharing God, and I want to make sure that it stays as a tool and not an idol or a destroyer.


I know where my affection should be, and I pray this step will help me keep it there. See you next week!



If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

~Colossians 3:1,2~

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so with ya girl! I hate to even type this outloud but I dont have a blog:) I have prayed twords this end this morning. It is great to have fellow journeymen!

Popular Posts