Verse of the week -- Philippians 3:8




When I sit back at the end of the day determining the success or failure of the past hours I often weigh it in terms of arguments settled, peaceful moments, "I love you's" spoken, academic progress made, household organization, items left on the to-do list, and other similarly physical attributes. Yet, on those "successful" days I should count ALL these things loss, all are garbage, refuse, dung. That's a lovely picture.

All these things that I let impact my emotional state at the end of the day, really amount to nothing, or worse than nothing (I'd rather have nothing in my backyard than a pile of garbage).

What really counts? Laying down my own life and agendas for the high call of knowing Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, more today than I did yesterday. I cannot say, as Paul did, that I have suffered loss at His name, on the contrary I know I am abundantly blessed. Aside from the people in my life, all those "things" are of no account though. I should just tally them up as more dung in my life and keep my focus on gaining Christ.

The goodness, the righteousness in my life comes from God alone. As verse nine of Philippians 3 says, "which [the righteousness] is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." From Him, not me, His work on the cross, not my daily 'successes.' Not that I should cease trying to do good, but my focus should remain on God, not the good works. With Him in the viewfinder, the rest falls into proper perspective as well.

Can I truly say with Paul that I count ALL THINGS loss compared to knowing Christ? That's my prayer.

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung,
that I may win Christ.

~Philippians 3:8~

Comments

Popular Posts