The rest of the story . . .

Yesterday I had this amazing workout in the morning that I could tell stretched me in all kinds of new ways. Well, this morning my leg muscles ached unbelievably! It probably didn't help that I mowed at high speed for an hour at night also . . .

So, I had to Google it, of course, and this is what I found. Whether you have overlunged, or overworked some other muscle group at some point, you might also find this information helpful.

I found this site that offered a good explanation and encouragement. It actually has a name, "Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness (DOMS). The pain is usually felt 12 to 48 hours after exercising."

Studies showed that stretching didn't really help considerably. Ibuprofen can offer temporary relief (but I generally avoid taking any medication if I can). Encouraging light blood flow can bring relief as well (light aerobics). I took a brief walk this morning and did feel better afterward, makes sense.

While I hobble around like a nine-month pregnant woman I will remind myself that I am building new muscle. Yeah! (ooch, ouch!)

Comments

Popular Posts