Verse of the week -- Philippians 4:11-13

A familiar passage came to mind today. Philippians 4 starting in verse 11 says, “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

I have learned (and continue to learn) to be content . . .

- whether in the hot, sticky heat or the freezing cold snow-day

- whether in times of marital bliss, or the times of challenging growth

- whether in light bulb moments or necessary repetition of basics

- whether in days of controlled chaos, or days of sweet flowing order

- whether in meals of hormone free steak or dried beans and rice

- whether in new minivans or hand-me-down station wagons

- whether in bugs and lizards or in climate controlled quarters

- whether in open schedules with lots of discretionary time or with demands placed on each moment

- whether in dreams come true or hopes delayed

- whether in child birth or loss

- whether in triumphs of my strengths or the overwhelming of my weaknesses

- whether the children obey or need continued instruction

- whether the bank account expands or diminishes

The secret to finding contentment in each situation is Christ alone, alive in me. In His strength I can do all He has called me to and through. I have not arrived when it comes to contentment by any means, but each day I find strength in Him to make that choice, to choose contentment, to live for Him on the mountain top and in the valley. Whether others see my circumstance as a success or failure is irrelevant. Contentment should carry me through as I rely on Him who strengthens me.

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

~Philippians 4:11-13~

Comments

Popular Posts