The Trap of List Checking






Finger pointing at the Pharisees comes easily. They wandered so far from God's plan and led Israel away in the process. Legalism, routine, judgment, self-righteousness, and ritual sacrifice filled their days. As God continues to impress on me that sanctification comes from the heart not from habits, I begin to see the false security I have sometimes found in checklists.

And, at this time of year when many people at least mentally compose resolutions, goals, and seek out new habits, I'm again challenged to revisit what lies beneath.

Starting from the seemingly impossible command stated in Leviticus 11:45 (and elsewhere):
I am the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.

Or, maybe you prefer the similar statement from Matthew 5:48, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Sure, no problem. Try putting that right at the top of your New Year's goals: 
Be perfectly holy like God. 

Both of these statements come in the context of the law, quite a significant point for accurate interpretation. 

As I study through the Sermon on the Mount, I am realizing afresh the purpose of the law. The law pointed out sin, defined truth and righteousness, set up a temporary sacrificial system pointing to the Messiah, and set apart the nation of Israel. But, (and this is a huge 'but') the law did not save. Romans pounds this message home.

The law (and any man-made list of rules also) cannot save us. It cannot help us lead perfect lives. It cannot get us to heaven, make us like God. 

Instead, it does just the opposite. The law shows us that on our own salvation is impossible. This is what the Pharisees completely missed, and we so often do as well. Salvation comes only through Jesus Christ. Only through his perfect sacrifice. 

The law tells me to love my neighbor, which I can never do perfectly.

The law tells my sinful heart to have no other gods before Him and yet I constantly catch myself running after worldly idols (achievements, accolades, things, comforts, etc.)

The law commands perfect obedience, yet I can hardly get out of bed without a selfish grumble. 

Yet, there is this interesting encounter Jesus has with a "rich, young ruler." (Mark 10 and Matthew 19) This young man had convinced himself that he had kept the law perfectly. He had checked all the boxes. He felt his salvation was just a breath away. 

What did he lack? Perfection. Jesus said he only lacked one thing. Just one thing and he would be perfect! Wow! But, Jesus knew. It was the one thing that man could not surrender. 

This New Year I am mercilessly searching my heart to make sure there is not that 'one thing' remaining that might hold me back from reckless abandon for my God. 

It's not a list (Bible time, prayer, giving, worship, church attendance, hospitality, etc., etc.) and yet it will overflow and seep into every possible area of our thinking and existence. As we seek to know God, we become like Him almost without trying. Drawing close, drawing our heart in step with His, checks every box and then some. 

Ditching the list and just chasing hard after my perfect, and perfecting, heavenly Father. 

  



Comments

Popular Posts