God's Story

A normal night at Awana.

Checking kids in. Listening to verses, singing together, playing games, etc. etc.

Then, it became a not so normal night at Awana.

During our small group time, the question was something along the lines of "What does it mean to follow Christ as the light of your life? Do you follow Him?"

So, with our unusually small group this week of regular church attenders, I asked each kid, "Do you?"

One kid jumped in, "What does that mean?"

Me: Well, what does that mean, everyone?

Various kids: Believe you sinned. Believe Jesus died on the cross. And rose again! And, want to live like He tells us to.

Me: Yep. Kinda like A.B.C. Admit you are a sinner, Believe Jesus died and rose again, Confess Him as Lord.

Kid: Everyone believes that! Well, everyone at church.

Me: Not Everyone. And, it's not enough to believe it in your head, you have to say it with your mouth, too. Have you said those things to God in prayer?

Kid: No. Is that something I have to do?

Me: Yes, it shows you really believe it.

Kid: I better do that right now (and he immediately starts getting on his knees next to his chair)

Before he started praying we talked a little bit more about what it meant and the important pieces of salvation. He wanted to pray in his head instead of out-loud in front of his friends.

Me: That's fine, I'll sit here next to you, and when you're done just say "Amen" out-loud so I know you're done.

Kid: Okay (prays silently for a few seconds) Wait, what was the third thing?

Me: Confess Jesus as Lord, like saying that He is in charge of your life.

Kid: Oh yeah (continues silently) Amen.

Another kid: You know the angels are having a party now.

Yet another kid: Yeah, they are all partying, like in the story in the Bible, where is that?

Me: I think it's in Luke. (we found it in Luke 15).

Kid: Really? They're having a party because of me? That is so cool!

Me: Yep, today is your spiritual birthday.

Kid: I've gotta write this down somewhere!

Me: Let's put it in the back of you Awana book.

(We found an empty page and wrote: 1/23/2019 ______ accepted Jesus as his personal savior today).

Me: Now you need to make sure you tell people.

Kid: Like them (the other kids in our group).

Me: Yep.

Kid: Hey! I just admitted that I was a sinner and believe that Jesus died and rose again.

Kid: There's Pastor Dave, should I tell him?

Me: Yep

Kid: Hey, Pastor Dave, look what we wrote in the back of my book! 

The rest of the night he was processing this amazing event. It truly blew his mind. He's usually fairly talkative, but every time I looked over at him you could just see the wheels turning, sometimes he was praying quietly, hand folded, lips moving, and now and then a question or comment would pop out:

- Do you sing happy birthday to people on their spiritual birthdays? Like "Happy spiritual birthday to you . . "

- This is the most amazing thing ever

- Hey guys, you should make sure you follow the rules and stay together while we walk to game time.

- I can't wait to tell my mom!

When his mom came he decided to wait for the car ride to let her know what had take place. He wrapped it up with, "This is the best day ever!"

Yes it is. Yes it is. And, because I went to Awana tonight I got to be a part of it, too. God could have used anyone at anytime, but He let me help with this precious moment.

So thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts