Planning a neighborhood bible club -- catching the vision

Eight years ago we moved into a "normal" neighborhood. Before that we lived an a very abnormal one (we loved it, but it was not typical).

When we moved in I began to pray for opportunities to meet and shine Christ's light to those around us. I envisioned mom Bible studies, chatting at the park, bringing neighborhood friends to Awana, and on and on.

Now, eight years later we are only inches down the path to that dream. I had no understanding of the suburban garage-entry lifestyle and how busy everyone keeps and how social circles don't have many entry points and I'm a whole lot more introverted than even I realized.

However, last year started something that I had long dreamed of -- I had the privilege of running a Bible club in my front yard for a week. God taught me a lot through that week and a whole lot of research and reading that is now becoming the launch of a ministry that I pray will spread to every neighborhood in our city.

First, let's back up a little bit.

God pressed deep into my heart after reading Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire that I really need to reach out a bit more into those around me and relight my passion to live out my faith visibly to those next door. I had to trust Him, share Him, live my faith not just in my four walls or at church.

We have had a few opportunities to serve our neighbors -- shoveling driveways, fixing a broken mailbox, bringing baked goods when  a loved one passed away, etc. But, I still feel so far from the visions I had when I first moved in. I needed to take more intentional steps to give my faith a pathway into these lives that are just a few yards from mine.


I still lacked the urgency. This video reminds me of that. The man stands yelling about the coming tsunami. He has a clear view of what's ahead, of the incoming danger. You can definitely tell his urgency, his passion to warn people, to save people from what he sees growing larger every second. I also know of a coming danger. I also should speak with urgency to everyone God brings along.

In addition to growing a passion for my city, God has also shown me some ways to use how He naturally gifted me to accomplish this. Every since I was in junior high I have served in children's ministry - Awana leader, nursery volunteer, story teller, puppeteer, you name it, I've probably done it. I like adults and all, but kids' ministry just flows for me.

God placed me here to use me for His glory. Intentionally here. This house, this street, this neighborhood, this city. And, He made me the way He wants to use me - my experiences, my gifts, my relationships. Now, with a fresh vision, I needed to figure out how to put it into action.

Up next - Neighborhood Bible Clubs  - learning from others



Comments

Popular Posts