The root of sanctification


We unfortunately slip often into the same error of the Pharisees: action over attitude, visible over invisible, deeds over devotion. sacrifice over obedience, checklists over surrender, judgment over grace.

We want salvation or sanctification to get boiled down into a written list of items I can accomplish on my own. A balance that we can dump the day's accomplishments on and pat ourselves on the back for actually having a good day. We don't want to have to admit that we can't do it. That it has nothing to do with what we can do.

The book of Matthew is written just for us. God doesn't want our actions, our sacrifices, our law-abiding obsession. He wants our hearts. He gave the law to point us to our need for a savior and lay bare our sinful natures.

Despite the fact that the Pharisees had taken God's law and greatly expanded it to a monstrous list of do's and don'ts, they actually made it easier, made it appear more achievable. Look at the rich young ruler who said (seriously), that he had kept all of the law since his youth! He completely missed the point of the law.

When the law was supposed to show them their incapacity to save themselves, they tried to make it the catalyst for salvation.

The law pointed out our illness and instead they saw it as the prescription.

The law came to convict and they used it to build up.

The law pointed to something future, something essential, but they tried to make it an end in itself.

Jesus is our salvation, our prescription, our foundation and builder, our future, our hope. Our everything.

I don't need a list of behaviors to change.

I don't need seven habits or
another purpose to drive me or
positive thinking or
to draw a circle or
chicken soup or
to make my bed or
say a new prayer or
to start a new habit or
even to wash my face.

I need Jesus.

I can't explain the fresh wind that blows through me with that last sentence. He. is. all. I. need.

When I flounder in a dry spell, I start groping around for a new gimmick.

When I feel a sin weighing me down, I look for a new habit to help overcome it.

When my spiritual life plateaus, I try to shake things up with more worship songs and Psalms.

Sometimes those things can help, but really, I need to hunger and thirst for Him, and then I'll be satisfied. I need to seek first His kingdom and all these things will be added to me. I need to walk in the spirit.

Mental, spiritual saturation in my Savior Jesus Christ fixes everything. Not every situation, but everything that matters -- my relationship with Him. And, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. From it flow the well-springs of life.

When my heart is in tune with Him, the melody flows naturally without even needing a list to live by.  It loves, forgives, rejoices, encourages, finds peace, hopes, waits, sings, and soars.

Comments

Popular Posts