Verse of the week -- John 7:37-39


Watered to water.

I spoke last week of how parched I was, not that long ago.

Now, as Christ pours into me afresh, I know I am watered to water.

Plants from Maui somehow keep growing on my kitchen counter. They tolerate my sporadic watering much better than I can tolerate inconsistent spiritual watering. Their leaves droop and I realize it has been days.

They lick up the water greedily from the soil. Leaves lift and stalks fill out.

The receive water simply to keep themselves alive. We are watered to water. To pour out into others.

I think about how good that drink of refreshing, cool water is after a couple hours of yard work. It tastes completely different than the same beverage sipped alongside a meal. As it nourishes, refreshes, satisfies, we can renew our efforts.

Also, spiritually as we are refreshed, rejuvenated we have living water to pour out from us. John 7:37-39 says, "
Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified."

It is not some great capacity within us as good people to pour into others. Not because we are nice or moral or making right choices. Rather, as the Holy Spirit transforms us we are full to overflowing and that living water should gush out to others as well.

My faith should not just satisfy my thirst, but rather overfill my cup. God is more than enough. I just need to keep holding open my life for Him to pour into and through.

37 Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

~John 7:37-39~

Comments

Popular Posts