Verse of the week -- John 16:33

Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this Mama said.

Great words of wisdom from the Shirelles.

Home

Life is often chock full of "those days." Days of discouragement, disappointment, failures, doubt, demands, and other overwhelming emotions and experiences.

This past week as I struggled through a day with a fussy baby, too much undone housework to mention, and a schedule full of happenings outside of my control, God gently reminded me of His perspective and control even when I felt lost.

John 16:33 provides great reassurance when it says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

This verse came to mind, but only starting with the "trouble" part. As I went back to look at the full verse I realized that God has prepared me for the trouble this day will bring. Not only does He know what we will experience, He gives us what we need to make it through.

Peace. Not peace like the world gives, but His peace, perfect peace. Eternal peace grounded in truth, not empty promises. Peace in Him, not apart from Him, and not in a clean house or an easy child or a rosy prognosis.

God has overcome the world. He is over and above the pain and troubles we will face. Even though much difficulty lies yet ahead, his conquering has already taken place. It's already confirmed.

No matter what comes, He wins. And, if He wins, and we are walking in Him, we win, too.

Kinda makes you feel like you can take on the world. Or at least that endless pile of dirty laundry or that child continually in need of correction.


I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
~John 16:33~

Comments

Courtney said…
This was a very encouraging post, Erin. Thanks for your application of it and the focus on hope.

Popular Posts