TOS Crew Review -- Worship Guitar

I have long had this fascination with playing guitar. In fact, for the past number of years I have owned a guitar. You can often find it under my bed, in its dust covered case.

For some reason, that image of guitar accompanied songs around the campfire has not pressed me to learn it very well. I do pull it out and sing with my kids now and then, but I wouldn't ask for much more of an audience than that.


Regardless of my poor guitar's neglect, I did pull it out with some gusto as a package arrived that helped me do what I really longed to do with the guitar . . . Worship!


Worship Guitar Class DVD 1 and Book 1



Product: Jean Welles Worship Guitar Vol. 1
Details: A DVD and lesson book for beginner or advanced beginners. Includes introduction, 7 lessons and practice sessions, and Spanish subtitles if desired.
Price: $29.95 for DVD and book set.


What we loved . . .

  • Easy to pop in and use. You can come with no knowledge, or have been playing guitar for years, like myself (ahem). This DVD gives you a basic introduction to the instrument, tuning, and how to read chord charts and then jumps right into learning some well known praise choruses.
  • Jean has a wonderful presence. Calm and professional, and with a constant reminder of our goal -- to worship our Creator -- Jean does a wonderful job leading these lessons and keeping you in a worshipful frame of mind.
  • Worship focused. She is clearly not helping you learn guitar for pure entertainment or to advance your music knowledge. The purpose of these lessons is to worship God in your quiet times or in small groups. I never thought guitar lessons could be such a spiritual experience.
  • Includes various strumming patterns. I love the sound of broken chords, but had never learned how to actually do it. I could kind of figure it out on my own, but Jean walks you through it step by step.
  • Slow practice sessions. In addition to the lessons on the DVD you can also go through the practice sessions that have the same songs, but redone much more slowly which is helpful when you are learning and trying to switch fingers and learn strumming at the same time.
  • Help in learning to hear and sing on pitch. She didn't spend a lot of time on this as it was obviously not the purpose of the course, but she gave me some hope for some of my "tonally challenged" children.
  • Free online sample. If you want to get an idea of what the course is like, feel free to jump on their website and see for yourself what Jean Welles has to offer.


Some considerations . . .
  • This is not a music class. This course was designed to teach you to play worship songs, a few basic chords, and some fingerings. It doesn't get into pitch, identifying keys, or other techniques that might come in regular guitar lessons, or music classes.
  • You won't learn a lot of different chords. After the first volume you will not be able to just pick up any book and accompany yourself or a group in singing. You might want to jump into Volume 2, or work on learning other chords, transitions and fingerings so your new knowledge is more applicable.
  • This is not for young kids. My 12 year old was able to follow along fairly well, but if you are looking for a course for younger kids, you would want to check out their course for kids 6-9.
When you compare this cost to private guitar lessons, you are obviously getting a deal. It's still not a teacher that can look at exactly what you are doing and address your individual needs, so that's not quite a fair comparison. However, it is still a good course to get you started. If you have a guitar just gathering dust under your bed and you would like to put it to better use, you would likely enjoy this class.



For more TOS Crew reviews on this product, check out the TOS Crew blog.


Disclaimer: This DVD and book set was provided to me free of charge from Jean Welles Worship Guitar as part of my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I received no additional compensation and the opinions expressed here come from my personal experiences and sincere thoughts.

Comments

amy in peru said…
Okay, this sounds awesome and like just what I need! I just want to play to worship... I've had my guitar (a christmas present) for (ahem...) 5 years now?! My excuse? no time... well that, and no teacher, and well... the desire is there, just lacking quite a bit of self-discipline I guess :)

I wanted to invite you to my new blog I've started this year:
http://apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com
Won't you come and visit?

I hope you had a wonderful time of celebration this holiday season.

Love,
Amy

http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com
6intow said…
Amy, it is definitely a good, easy to use course. And, along with the Spanish subtitles, in the songbook that comes along with the DVD it has the songs in Spanish as well.

I'm sure you could translate them easily, or may already know them in Spanish, but that's another bonus for you.

I'm now subscribed to your new blog. :-)
~Erin

Popular Posts