Verse of the week - II Corinthians 4:18

As perfect as we paint ourselves when we begin playing the comparison game with that rare person that doesn't measure up, we can readily admit most of the time that we have much in need of repair.

So, what do you feel the need to commit to change this year? Specific resolutions? General goals? Character growth? New verse to cling to?


I happen to have a little of each one of those.

A few posts I have read recently have prompted me to think more about December 31, 2010 and what I would like to look back on at that point. Mrs. White has a few good thoughts, and others have linked some of their posts there as well. And, my bloggy friend Courtney helped me think along the lines of "one word" in her beautifully written post.


This verse caught my attention once before, nearly a year ago now, but each time I read it God puts a new spin on it. II Corinthians 4:18 says, "as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."


Keeping my focus on the eternal will improve my marriage, my parenting, my eating habits, my homeschooling, my housekeeping, my relationships, my ministry involvements, my conversations, my priorities, my quiet time, my everything!


I find it easier to remold my mindset than look for specific points to improve on. An eternal perspective will hit it all.


Look past the child to their soul. Look past the mess to the character needing growth. Look past the numbers on the scale to the surrender needed in my habits. Look past the inconvenience to the opportunity to show God's love. Look past the academic subject to the wisdom to be gained.


This year, I want to live with eternal-vision goggles strapped in place.

As we look not to the things that are seen
but to the things that are unseen.
For the things that are seen are transient,
but the things that are unseen are eternal.

~II Corinthians 4:18~

Comments

Mrs. White said…
Lovely post!

Blessings
Mrs. White
amy in peru said…
I'm still trying to figure out my ONE word... I've got 5 currently (it's actually kind of a phrase). I'm going to blog it as soon as I get it!

I really appreciate that verse!

Amy in Peru
Michelle Smith said…
Thanks for your perspective! I agree; it does help to focus on ONE thing. I also love the verse you have chosen.

This morning's sermon was about getting back to the basics--Christian basics, that is. Today was following Christ. Just following. Surrendering. Spending time with Him. Becoming more Christ-like. That was all the sermon was about. Simple, yet if we all did it, we could change our communities, couldn't we? :)
6intow said…
Thank you, Mrs. White!

Amy, can't wait to read what you settle on. :-) It did take me a few relatively quiet days of mulling this over before I kept coming back to this same word or concept.

Michelle, so right, it is often the simple things that get lost in the dust. If we just focused on God and his Word that would be all we would need. What's that quote, "The world has yet to see what God could do through a man wholly devoted to Him." Or something along those lines.

I would like to be that person everyday, but I'll keep taking it one day at a time.

~Erin
Courtney said…
Congrats on your word. I like it. And I like your application of it. I might borrow it from time to time.

=)

Courtney
amy in peru said…
Okay Erin, I've got it! You HAVE to come over tomorrow and see... I MUST keep you in suspense!

heheh.

:)

amy

http://apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com
6intow said…
Woo hoo, I'll be there, Amy!
~Erin

Popular Posts