Get out of the house, or not . . .

The forecast says we can expect a heatwave for the next few days -- highs over freezing for almost a whole week! We'll be going out jacketless I'm sure.


Winter will then return, laughing at our foolish optimism that this year could actually turn out differently. And, I will again reach my hand into my bag of tricks to sustain us until puddle stomping days truly arrive, and then the summer months when we complain of the humidity and stay inside anyway. But, the cabin fever of winter is definitely the roughest.

Can you see his smiling eyes?

I shared a couple weeks ago about some of our fun plans to really enjoy that dangerously cold weather that gripped us, (I think the frozen bubbles were the best!)



This week we enjoyed "celebrating" Groundhog Day with some crafts. (Nathan always seems to be on hand when I need a picture).


When all else fails, we get out of the house for some family fun. We had earned a free family pass to an indoor play area with about seven huge inflatables. After an hour and a half of wonderful energy release we picked up the kids' free Book-It Pizzas from Pizza Hut and headed home. This on the heels of a Disney on Ice show a couple weeks back . . .


The winter truly does offer a unique time of togetherness. After soccer, beyond the holiday time, and before baseball season gets us running again. As long as I can keep the hair-pulling sessions to a minimum (mine . . . and the kids' too, I suppose) we actually enjoy this time of year.



Check out Mary's blog for more Friday Show and Tell. And, head over to Heart of the Matter for more cabin fever busters.

Comments

Andi Carter said…
Frozen . . . bubbles? For real? Where are the pictures? Did i miss them? :-)
How many weeks until true spring? Counting the days!
6intow said…
Susan,

I wish I had pictures. It would really need to be a video to show the full effect. If you blow bubbles outside when it is VERY cold (we have not had success much over zero degrees Fahrenheit) they freeze. Then, rather than popping, they kind of shatter or crumple and the pieces fall to the ground. It is pretty cool to watch.

Spring? I guess about six weeks, but April is often still pretty unpredictable, and mostly cold, around us. Still hoping. :-)
~Erin
Anonymous said…
I would love to see your frozen bubbles ! Thanks for joining the fun on S&T Friday. [0=

Yes, winter can be a challange. How cold does it get there ? Here we are hovering around freezing with 5-10c* degrees on both sides of freezing. So that means they can go out and sled easily. [0=

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary
6intow said…
Mary,

Thanks for stopping by! I love your meme idea and enjoyed participating this week. The winters here usually stay below freezing from December through February with occasional warmer spells. You get used to it, but our vacations to warmer places sometimes make us think of moving.

~Erin
Anonymous said…
Awesome activities! We are counting down the days to spring! Just want to get out in the sun. I have enjoyed the together time winter affords.
SO love the bubbles! We used to do that when we lived in Iowa. It's amazing the things we can find to entertain ourselves!
Anonymous said…
That first photo is hilarious! It minds me of the saying . . . I've fallen and I can't get up! LOL!
Anonymous said…
Frozen bubbles? I learn something new every time I visit show and tells.
Cool.
Antoinette

Popular Posts