Favorite Resources

When my kids were younger I couldn't imagine life without pacifier clips, a travel container of wipes, board books, etc. Times have certainly changed, and this past week I came up with a fresh list of items I could not live without.

Things (personal, homeschool related, spiritual, organizational) I can simply not live without at this stage in my life, in no particular order:

Marker Boards. We use these for everything school related - math problems, spelling words, checking work, drawing while I read aloud, speed drills, oral tests, etc.

Kahn Academy. Where my mind ends, Kahn Academy is only getting started. They come in handy for test prep, re-teaching of challenging topics, filler when we finish a course early and want to keep learning, review, and even for a full math curriculum, at least temporarily.

Family Mint. A few years back I was on a homeschool review board and this was a website that we got to review a beta version of. I've been using the free version every since. The upgrade has some perks, but at this time we haven't upgraded. This is a great way to teach our kids about money without having to keep a separate bank account for them, and we also do not have a bunch of money sitting around. We keep it in our account and give them interest once a year.

Got Questions. I love this website. Maybe because it seems that every question I have, they already answered. Maybe it's because they are so exceptionally Scripturally sound. Maybe it's because after I was hooked on it I found out that my cousin's wife's sister's husband is the CEO (does it sound like less of a stretch if I say cousin's brother-in-law?)

Homeschool Tracker. Eight years ago our oldest child was approaching high school and I realized that my mental attendance notes and informal report cards that I made at the end of each year just might not cut it. So, after some exploring I came upon Homeschool Tracker. It has been a great fit for us, although at that time we could just buy the program for $50, so it was a very affordable option, too. We have now sent off three transcripts using the program and continue to be quite happy with it and the great tool it is for organizing our homeschool records and daily assignments.

Precept Bible Studies. This year I discovered first hand the joy of really digging into God's Word through Precept. It is everything I had hoped it would be. Meaty cross-referencing, sifting through Greek words, understanding and memorizing a whole book of the Bible. The growth and depth to my own spiritual walk has been such a blessing! Love It.




Comments

Popular Posts