Verse of the week -- Psalm 121:1,2


Counterattack.

As I continue to learn to trust God at a deeper level, I seek greater change in myself, my parenting, and my kids.

Love should overflow from our family. As disciples of Christ, others should see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. However, sometimes love is all but absent in our home.

I recently noticed a sharp loss in love in our home, among siblings in particular, and went to my knees to bring some improvement to the situation.

What did I expect? As I prayed, I expected voices to miraculously soften, words to grow tender, expressions to shine, and hugs to abound. Okay, maybe my expectations needed a dose of realism, but I did expect improvement.

What did I get? A sharp turn for the worse, and I didn't think that was possible. Simple manners were virtually non-existent between some duos and civility was just barely detectible in others.

I hadn't anticipated Satan's counter attack.

He relishes our arguments, the disrespect, the unkindness, and he wasn't about to let go without a fight.

Initially, the struggle seemed too great, and then I remembered where this battleground lay. This supernatural battle takes place on my knees. Abundance of words will rarely calm hotheads. Lectures, even peppered with Scripture, flow in and out of fuming ears.

I had to return to where I started, more time in prayer.

Slow changes. Thankful for a husband who joins forces. Bedtime giggles between girls remind me that some in the house remain good friends.

Keeping my eyes heavenward, even as the battle rages.

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
~Psalm 121:1,2~

Comments

Sheri P said…
My home as been looking and sounding the same way. Thank you for this post as a reminder where we need to be when this starts happening.

Popular Posts