Verse of the week - Matthew 28:19, 20


Ever since a child I have had a heart for missions. In Brownies when we talked about careers, I drew an airplane because I really wanted to be a missionary pilot. It carried me through college, with a major in International Ministries. God brought my husband and myself overseas for a year, and then he turned our hearts to those needing the gospel right around us, and He has since planted us where I never thought I would be -- within 40 miles of my birthplace.


My location has not changed much, and neither has my passion. We rarely go a day without some discussion about missions or a missionary we know. My kids don't have the hunger to go that I had, but they love to see His Word going out, and share a part of it. They raise money for mission projects, pray fervently for overseas pastors and missionaries, look for items to donate to local ministries, and get excited about ways to be a part of the Great Commission, a great command with a great promise.


Matther 28:19,20 says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."


Familiar words. Sometimes too familiar. Sharing our faith is not an option. It is part of the Christian walk. My first place of ministry is in my home, as I teach my kids, and disciple them in the faith. All that Christ has taught me, I pass along to them in bits and pieces.


Outside the home, I must also share my faith. I try, but don't rest in His strength in this area often enough. The sporadic conversations that make passing reference to prayer or God's help are not quite what He had in mind. The gospel message needs to pass through my lips on a more regular basis.


I also remember being challenged to share with our peers. It is easy for me to share my faith with kids. My kids, kids at church, kids at AWANA, kids at the park. But adults are harder for me. Pride, fear of failure, wanting to sound knowledgeable, not a crutch-reliant religious wimp. I talk easily about how I love homeschooling, why does my God's incredible love for me not slip in so comfortably?


Lord, please give me opportunity to share the gospel and the vision and courage not to let it slip past. Help me to continue to live it out before my kids, that they might grow with a hunger to share Your Word with the world as well. ~Amen


Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son
and the Holy Spirit,
20teaching them to observe all
that I commanded you;
and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.


~Matther 28:19,20~

Comments

Popular Posts