Preschool is such a great age. The kids are sponges soaking up all the material, knowledge, and experiences that come within their circle.
Because I want to encourage their enthusiasm for learning, I was excited to try out this product from Time4Learning. My kids had a blast in the process, too.
Details: Time4Learning offers a web based program for kids in Pre-kindergarten through 8th grade. It can be used to supplement learning or as a basis for teaching Language Arts and math. Their website also offers a parent forum and some lesson plans.
Price: $19.95 per month for the first child and $14.95 per month for each additional child
What we loved . . .
- Fun, fun, fun. The website is crammed full of games and fun learning activities to keep the kids learning, laughing, and coming back for more. My four and six year old both played on this occasionally and both loved it.
- Lots of age appropriate learning. Whether your child is reading or still learning, they can learn plenty through the activities that are easy for a computer-savvy four year old to navigate independently. My son had no problem getting where he wanted to go and find lots of great activities to fill his allotted time on the site.
- Reports. You can review what your child spent time on that day and how much they seemed to comprehend what they interacted with. At this age I prefer to sit with them to see what they are actually doing, but it is nice to have a bit of a record of what they have done and the progress they have made.
- Great time filler. This program is great to keep my kids busy while I work with other kids or when we face a busy day and need something still academic to occupy their time. The kids can easily jump on by themselves and enjoy and learn
Some considerations . . .
- Lots of just games. While many of the activities have a strong academic focus, some of them are just plain fun, and my son often camped out on those. I don't think he really learned much by filling in the on-screen coloring page all black, but for some reason he kept returning to repeat that task. ;) Either way, he did have fun, and he did spend some time in the areas that involved more thought.
- Pricey. As much as we loved this program, I could not see subscribing on a long term basis as the price is a bit much. Each month would cost me $35 for my two little ones and while I think it is great, I don't think it is worth that much more than some of the other free online academic sites out there.
- Easy to overuse. As with all computer programs, this needs to be used in moderation. The kids would easily sit for a while, eyes glazing over as they listen and click away. I'm sure they are learning something, but I prefer my kids to interact more with real life experiences in objects if possible.
The website is easy for kids to navigate and packed with activities and learning. We got to try out the Pre-Kindergarten levels and they had lots to keep us busy and enjoying the time we had. They learned and reviewed their letters, numbers, math concepts, weather knowledge, and many other areas during their time online. This is definitely a great product.
For more TOS Crew reviews on this product, check out the TOS Crew blog.Disclaimer: This web membership was provided to me free of charge through Time4Learning as part of my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I received no additional compensation and the opinions expressed here come from my personal experiences and sincere thoughts.