Sowing

 

Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,
and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

7
Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart,
not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
8And God is able to make all grace abound to you,
so that always having all sufficiency in everything,
you may have an abundance for every good deed; 

2 Corinthians 9:6-8

Meditating.
Mulling over again and again.
On the road, folding laundry, wiping counters, sweeping floors. 

 The meaning sinks in deeper.

 

Where am I sowing?

relationship

bank account

spiritual growth

family memories

What am I sowing?

love

earthly goods

faith

wisdom

prayer

grace

forgiveness

What can I really expect if I don't put in the work? 

I had always thought of "cheerful giver" as related to money, but that isn't really the full context of this verse. Giving money is sometimes the easy part. 

It is easy and a joy to write a check for a:

student going on a mission trip

ministry to pregnant teens

long established missionary

evangelistic efforts into an under-resourced area

new vision to grow God's kingdom.

 

But, do I cheerfully . . .

stay up late when a teenage child needs help wrestling through a life lesson

get up early to spend extended time in prayer

clear out cluttered closets and storage areas to send useful items to families in need

forgive the daily grievances that come with living in community

accept criticism and accountability as needed for growth

push out of my introverted shell to bless and be blessed

trim back on our budget to maximize giving

have the hard conversations to promote growth in our kids.

 

The next two verses offer some great encouragement and hope:

Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food
will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest
of your righteousness;
11 you will be enriched in everything for all liberality,
which through us is producing thanksgiving to God.

Use me, God. Help me find joy in giving even in ways that seem hard for me now. Thank you that I'm not who I was yesterday and I'm not yet who I will be tomorrow. ~Amen 


 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts