School planning

Anyone else seriously starting to prepare for the upcoming school year?

Now that it is officially August I can no longer wallow in my delusion that summer will continue on forever. On facebook the observation that, "August is like the Sunday of summer" has started floating around. I relent. It's all true.

But, I have to admit, that I do get a little twinge of excitement as I fire up our Homeschool Tracker software for the first time in a couple months and start marking holidays and end dates. Hmm, am I already excited about days off? Oh dear. This isn't going well.

Bible  time planning does stir genuine excitement though. I picked out our first missionary bio and a chapter that we will work on memorizing this year. We will start with Mary Slessor. I don't think I have ever read her bio and definitely not to the kids. I will look forward to that. And, Psalm 37. I can't wait. This one has been on my heart for a bit now. Already printed everyone's copy.

On to history -- I toyed with spending $60 on the one Mystery of History volume I do not have, and then quickly decided to check out Ambleside Online instead. We are going to go with Year 10. 1815-1900. That's a time period I truly enjoy, but haven't spent much concentrated time in recently. I sense a field trip to Springfield in the making.

Of course, I'll likely end up spending more than $60 in late library fees and kindle books, not really coming out ahead . . . I can dream though.

Science -- The younger set will be using Apologia Chemistry (the grade school version). Love all the experiments we are in for! I don't know about the high schoolers. One is done with science, the other might do physics at home.

English -- our schedule here is fairly routine now. A rotating pattern between Shirley and Rod and Staff with a pinch of Easy Grammar in the middle.

Math -- Saxon at appropriate levels. This year I'll have third grade, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. Might end up with an online college class at some point depending on future plans.

And, co-op, homeschool PE, robotics, and Liberty University round out the rest (sign language, music, karate, dance, theater, dual credits, cooking, lit, etc.) Thankful that I don't have to teach everything my kids need to know. I could never do this all on my own.

I'm starting to feel ready. Sorta. I know I'll still be glad when Friday afternoon arrives every week.

Comments

Popular Posts