Verse of the week -- Psalm 56:3,4


Just trust your daddy.


As children we often learn to trust our parents. Our fathers are bigger and stronger and wiser (although through some stages we like to debate that last one). Life becomes a bit simpler when we learn to rely on their guidance and simply trust.

This weekend as I listened to Stacy McDonald (who blogs over at Sacred Calling) talk about the Sacred Mission of Motherhood she mentioned her role of supporting her husband by encouraging her kids to trust their daddy. To some extent this is a natural response of a child, and in some ways they need to be pushed a bit to make this decision.

We also can help them see the broader applications of trusting their dad. They don't need to worry or question plans or schedules. They don't need to challenge expectations or guidelines. They can confidently seek counsel or advice. Well established trust has many valuable implications.

What a great training ground for trusting God, and what a challenge to me in my own faith to trust my father more consistently!

Nathan (4yo) and I played a board game and my husband watched from nearby. He gave Nathan a couple tips and Nathan hesitated at first. It didn't feel like the best move to him. But then he heard, "Trust me, just trust me." I smiled as Nathan responded with greater confidence. He is learning to trust his earthly daddy and I pray that he also continues to learn to trust his heavenly daddy.


How often do I need to remember to listen to that gentle prodding even when it defies my human wisdom? Yet, He presses me, "Trust me, just trust me."


Psalm 56:3,4 say, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"

For some reason I still question Him at times. I'm still learning, still growing. But, as I remember that my kids are looking to my example to learn what this trust will look like, it encourages me all the more to trust more deeply. More than just the health of my own faith depends on it.


When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust;
I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

~Psalm 56:3,4~

Comments

Amen. I got the book in the mail. It is great and the illustrations are wonderful! Thanks!

Popular Posts