Wednesday Worship - Mercy



Justice is getting what I deserved. 
Mercy is not getting what I deserved. 
Grace is getting what I don't deserve. 

All three of those wrap up into a beautiful picture of a life in God's presence that is available to us. 

Instead of judgement, mercy and grace.
Instead of punishment, relationship and blessing.
Instead of rejection, acceptance and peace.
Instead of isolation, His presence and joy.
Instead of insecurity, confidence and hope. 
Instead of fear, life and strength. 
Instead of silence, acknowledgement and  response.

God's presence, seeking His face has been a focus of my meditation. 

Psalm 27 
(ESV - excerpts)

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?

though war arise against me,
    yet I will be confident.
One thing have I asked of the Lord,
    that will I seek after:

to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
    and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter
    in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
    he will lift me high upon a rock.
And now my head shall be lifted up
   
and I will offer in his tent
    sacrifices with shouts of joy;
You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
    “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”

13 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living!
14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!


 How does one go about seeking God's presence? I have his Holy Spirit indwelling me, as a Christian, but His presence seems like it should be more tangible. 

I don't think it always is. I know God is always with me, whether I "feel" it or not. I don't just seek an emotional experience to validate or affirm my faith. And yet, God throughout scripture calls on us to seek His face, pursue His presence. I just need to open my eyes and look around.

Upon looking He reveals:
  • fullness of joy (Ps 16:11)
  • rest (Ex 33:14)
  • He can be found when I search with a whole heart (Jer 29:13)
  • beauty (Ps 27:4)
  • comfort (Ps 23)
  • contentment (Heb 13:5)
  • nearness, refuge (Ps 73:28)
  • confidence (Heb 10:19)

His presence. Time and again, He assures me that He is right here. Walking, carrying, guiding, and just being present. 

God is here, in spirit and in truth. So I reach out and worship in profound adoration and wholeness. 

Lord, Your presence overwhelms me, fills me, consumes me. You are here, just shy of actually being visible. Your strength and fortification hold me in my weakness and give me the words and decisiveness that I need to serve You each day. You are everything that I cannot be, broken and sinful, and You offer yourself freely to me. Thank you, Lord! 
In Jesus Name, and through the power of His blood, Amen.

 

Comments

Popular Posts