One Word

Yes, once again, February is my new January . . . Although I have been mentally going after this goal already, it has taken me a month to actually sit down and write about it, and give me the tenacity to speak my goals publicly.

This word came as it often does, rather suddenly.

I thought I wouldn't have a word this year, just focus on some specific areas that I want to re-establish and suddenly I realized that it all fit neatly in one goal, one word -- discipline.

Honestly, an area that I have often struggled in. People label me organized, responsible, and other orderly sounding words, but I knew the discipline that truly merited those labels was not a part of my character.

Well, I can be disciplined for a day, or two. But, true discipline requires long term commitment and change. Discipline needs to seep into your habits and character and change you, not just an hour.

Now, I have a year to tackle that.

Discipline in my health, in homeschool records, in housekeeping, in bedtime schedules, in stewardship, in budgeting, in life. Discipline.

How's it going so far? Well, I've blogged 5 times in one month! I haven't done that in a year, so that's looking up. :) Granted, 5 is barely more than once a week, so I have a ways to go before that habit is back in shape.

I've kept track of money spent for a whole month and stayed under budget in groceries. Yeah! It always catches up with me at some point, but I really want to stay on top of that more consistently. Discipline does not deserve its name if it lacks consistency.

My real excitement has come with a new schedule for exercise, better eating habits, and some weight loss goals. I haven't set a weight loss goal in 20 years. I've occasionally focused on getting in shape, exercising more or being healthier, but a specific number has never been a target for me since shortly before my wedding (my college roommate and I set ourselves a little challenge to lose a few pounds together over the summer). Anyway, I lost 5 pounds in January and have the goal of losing (oh, I cringe to say this for fear of falling short . . .) 15 more. Okay, there it is. I think it's doable, but I'm terrified of fizzling out or getting stuck, or realizing that it was unrealistic for an old lady like myself to trim down that much.

Spark People has been a great tool in helping me stay on track and making me aware of the little calories that add up, and how often I forget to drink water.

The other areas, record keeping, bedtime, and housekeeping are still needing more of my "One Word," But that's why I have a year to focus on it.

Discipline. I'm in for the long haul.

Comments

Courtney said…
Are you still doing Spark people? I have a friend who did it and it was a really big help to her. How is discipline going for you further into the year? (We recently cut back on sugary, junky foods because the girls and I were under a moody spell from its clutches--and I took up daily drinking from a jug that holds 8 glasses of water. That's the extent of my efforts so far. If you have tips, pass them along?)
6intow said…
I do still have my goal in sight. :) I lost another couple pounds in February, but it was a really busy month so I'm trying not to get discouraged by the minimal amount. Every month is like a fresh start for me, a recommitting. Spark people is really helpful for me. It was great to take some measurements and once a month see the progress. Tracking food is hugely important and Spark People makes that easy for me. I have heard people really like My Fitness Pal (I think that's its name) also and I believe it has an app. I don't have a smart phone or tablet, all my computer stuff is on my desktop, so that didn't draw me, but it would be another one worth checking out. You can do it! :)

I also looked briefly at the Weird Unsocialized Homeschooler's blog about weight loss. She has lost a significant amount of weight and has blogged more consistently about it as well.

Thanks for checking in. It's good to be held accountable. So far no sweets in 2013 for me. Just that makes such a huge difference in how I feel.

Pressing on,
Erin

Popular Posts